Sunday, April 25, 2010

Small Group Instruction- GED

Are you an instructor who teaches GED preparation in a Learning Center setting? A setting where students come and go, and where many times you may not see students for for weeks?
Are you asking yourself how to better retention? I am.

I am continuously asking myself how I can improve student retention in a setting where the mind set is, " I can come and go as it fits my schedule."

I am convinced that the delivery within the Learning Center needs to change. I believe that students need to commit to times and days that they can attend. If they cannot commit, perhaps the setting is not for them.

I also believe that small group instruction needs to be offered.

This may mean that we service fewer students..... but I believe that the ones who do attend will learn more because they will be committed to coming.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experience working with small groups of students within a lab setting..... especially GED students.

No comments: